Fierce-haired Puerto Rican Sexologist! Co-founder of The LatiNegr@s Project, radical educator and woman of Color w/a disability, titi/auntie, fat pro-choice independendista femme. Basically a pretty cool broad.
This work by LatiNegraSexologist is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.latinegrasexologist.tumblr.com/ask.
It’s rare that trans women are given the mic to speak about our experiences on our own terms, and it’s an even rarer occurrence when we women of color get to share space with one another and truth tell in a public space.
I’m proud of the nearly 10 minutes I shared with Isis King, who came into the media’s focus when she was recruited to compete on Cycle 11 of America’s Next Top Model in 2008. I’m proud to call Isis my dear sister and to be able to speak with her about our public lives.
I’d like to use this space to clarify three things:
1. Isis mentioned Laverne Cox as one of the only examples she’s known of trans women like herself on television. I’d like to highlight the fact that other sisters are and have also represented on television: Carmen Carrera, Candis Cayne, Jamie Clayton, Nina Poon, Harmony Santana and Nong Ariyaphon Southiphong.
2. I made a statement about our responsibility to educate others about our experiences. I said, “You have to use your life as a teaching moment.” It’s a personal choice to do so, and it’s a responsibility that I take on, but it is NOT our job to educate people about us. I was reminded of this when I read Janani Balasubramanian’s essay “Brown Silence,” where she so eloquently writes: “Not everyone’s education needs to be our responsibility all the time…Our words and energy should also be conserved.”
3. I also said the dehumanization of trans women in the media “leads to trans women hurting themselves in a way that they feel they don’t deserve more.” Instead, I’d like to add that the systematic dehumanization of trans women through words, images and the lack thereof of words and images that represent the totality of our experiences actually is what contributes to others seeing us as less than human therefore justifying the violence, battery, criminalization and murders we face.
Finally, I hope conversations like these continue to happen, and that they happen with a wide array of women, because it’s only in hearing a plethora of our voices do we paint a more realistic portrait of womanhood.
- the-country-larder likes this
- moonstrucklifec reblogged this from janetmock
- chosenchozo likes this
- jazmineinmaculada reblogged this from janetmock
- divryofasociopath likes this
- only1armani likes this
- mahoushoujokyoukomagica likes this
- pickachu36 reblogged this from janetmock
- icendice22 likes this
- reverseswirl reblogged this from cousinnick
- fluteorwrite391 likes this
- rogue-feminist reblogged this from cousinnick
- lana-del-ray-narvaezjr likes this
- lalalickmydick likes this
- rosefinch likes this
- everfaithfulservant reblogged this from cousinnick
- nyappytotoro reblogged this from cousinnick
- nyappytotoro likes this
- webdings4 likes this
- welove-gmos likes this
- intothenightandbeyondthemoon reblogged this from cousinnick
- norseaboo reblogged this from cousinnick
- rottenthemonster reblogged this from cousinnick
- one-of-the-birds reblogged this from cousinnick
- rileythehellgoat reblogged this from cousinnick
- cousinnick reblogged this from janetmock
- cousinnick likes this
- geniiii likes this
- sleepinghookah reblogged this from enexcelsis
- southernfeminist likes this
- enexcelsis reblogged this from ipodchick
- schloupendowse likes this
- heyfunnyface likes this
- ms-cellophane likes this
- historiasconcafe likes this
- hansvanhans reblogged this from chicken-wig
- queen-nomadic reblogged this from mistress-of-death
- wanderingoff likes this
- jadeina likes this
- oliviadlrosa reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- smilinglover likes this
- blackboybe likes this
- demanonyssup likes this
- pyroperception reblogged this from tylerthelatteboy
- racismschoolstorage likes this
- misfitsinspace likes this
- hungerfaerie likes this
- mrrightandmrbubble likes this